Home Criminal Defense/DUI Criminal Law FAQs
In This Section

Answering Your Criminal Law Questions

If you have questions about criminal law in West Georgia, feel free to contact the Duke Law Firm, LLC, in Carrollton. Our attorneys are here to answer your questions and fight for your rights. Schedule a free initial consultation with a lawyer by calling 866-582-4982 or by sending us an email.

I was arrested for a DUI and the form says my license will be suspended in 30 days, but my first court date is not until after that 30 days. How will my license be suspended before I even go to court?

If you are arrested for drunk driving, you may have only 10 days before the Department of Driver Services suspends your license. If you took the Intoxilyzer test at the police station and blew a .08 or higher, your license may be suspended. If you refused to take the Intoxilyzer test, your license is also in danger of suspension. You need to consult an experienced DUI attorney who can file an appeal on your behalf to help protect your license.

I was arrested for possession of marijuana. I was not driving or even in a car, but the state is trying to suspend my license. How is that possible?

If you are convicted of possession of drugs (even though you are not driving), you are still in jeopardy of losing your driver's license by Georgia Statute.

If I'm innocent, shouldn't I explain my side of the story to the police right away?

No, you have the right to remain silent, and it's very important that you use this right. Even if you are simply explaining the facts to the police, your words may be misinterpreted and used against you. Beyond giving law enforcement basic information such as your name, keep quiet and call our law firm right away.

I've heard many terms like "indictment" and "arraignment," but what do they mean?

In essence, an indictment is a legal document that formally charges you with a crime. An arraignment is the official notice that the judge gives you, explaining that you have been charged with certain offenses. At this point, you can either plead "guilty" or "not guilty."

Understanding all the legal terms can be confusing, which is another reason to consult a lawyer as soon as possible. In a free consultation with you, we can answer your questions and help you understand your legal options.